Friday, November 13, 2009

Just a UTI

PLEASE NOTE: This all happened 2 years ago, I'm simply copying it to my blog since I didn't have a blog back then.

Originally written Nov 13, 2007 12:06am (EST)

Turns out the infection they were looking for turned out to be a UTI. They're keeping her on the vancomycin for 10 days. Now that she's been "tagged" as positive for MRSA colonization, she has to be in isolation for the rest of her stay at the hospital even if she comes back negative for MRSA next week. Isolation means she's in a room with 5 other babies who are positive for MRSA colonization or even have MRSA infection. I sort of lost it tonight when we were there. I think I was just overwhelmed with stuff. When we went to her room, it was empty cause she had been moved. So then they show us to the "cooty" room as one of the nurses called it. I used to pump next to her isolette in our semi-private room but now I had to go pump in the pumping room which is in another area. So I left to do that while KJ visited with Autumn. My milk supply has been stressing me out cause it is dwindling and I only pumped about 3/4 of an ounce and as I was walking out of the pumping room I saw a nurse handle a baby pretty roughly as she changed his diaper, the baby was crying and red faced and the nurse seemed frustrated. So when I went back to see Autumn, I just started crying and KJ couldn't figure out what was wrong. I couldn't talk without crying harder and I didn't want the nurses to see me. I've been feeling real guilty about only being able to spend a couple hours a day with Autumn and now I was realizing she needs me more now. When she was in the semi private room, it was just her and one other baby with one nurse. Now she's in a room with 6 babies total and 2 nurses. It just made me realize that I'm her mom and she needs me. I know the nurses do a great job and take good care of her but they're not her mom. So I'm trying to figure out how to spend as much time as possible at the hospital but that means being away from my son who just turned 1. The guilt never ends.

No comments: