Sunday, November 8, 2009

Back on CPAP, positive for MRSA, Spinal Tap for Meningitis. Can you say overwhelmed?

PLEASE NOTE: This all happened 2 years ago, I'm simply copying it to my blog since I didn't have a blog back then.

Originally written Nov 08, 2007 02:50pm (EST)

Yesterday KJ and I were driving to see Autumn and we got a call from her nurse. She said "it's not an emergency just want to update you. Autumn's been having some A's and B's (apnea-when she stops breathing and bradycardia- when her heartrate drops) so we put her back on CPAP, she's probably getting tired out." Ok, no problem we thought, we were kind of prepared for that possibly happening. At least she gave her lungs some exercise. So then when we get to the hospital after almost an hour drive, the nurse tells us I'm sorry but after we talked the Dr. came and told me she tested positive for MRSA. She's only positive for being colonized, not infected. So she's on contact isolation. The nurses/doctors have to wear a gown/gloves when they touch her. Ok, so we think still not a huge deal, MRSA colonization is very common, this doesn't mean she's infected. The Dr. spoke with us and said if she does become symptomatic of an infection, they're going to start her on heavy antibiotics right away. Apparently, as many of you have seen in the news, MRSA doesn't respond to penicillin so they would have to give her vancomycin, a very strong antibiotic. Then about an hour after we get home from the hospital the Dr. calls and says her CBC (complete blood count) came back and she had some elevated C-reactive proteins which is indicative of some sort of infection going on. They started her on the vancomycin right away in case it is MRSA. They said they'll know for sure if she has a blood infection on Fri morning. She also got a blood transfusion yesterday cause she was looking pretty pale and because of the A's and B's. This time, her transfusion was from my brother's donated blood. Pretty neat. I went to visit her again last night and she looked better but they didn't want me to hold her cause of all the poking and prodding all day. That was fine, I just put my hand on her back and read a book next to her isolette for 1 1/2 hrs.

Today we went to visit her and she looked about the same. We talked to the Dr. and he said most of the cultures came back negative for infections but he hasn't gotten them all back. He says even if there's nothing related to MRSA, she seems to have something going on. So she's going to get a spinal tap today to rule out meningitis. They also took an x-ray of her stomach to make sure everything's ok in there, I assume to rule out suspicion of NEC? The x-ray looked good but they're going to do another one today or tomorrow. Not sure why. I never think to ask the right questions when I'm in front of the Dr., probably cause I was a little overloaded. They also did an echocardiogram but the results of that aren't in yet. The nurse said the unofficial word from the ultrasound tech was that everything looked ok but we'll know for sure later today or tomorrow. The Dr. said if he finds no bacteria to treat, he's going to keep her on antibiotics for 10 days to be sure he rids her of whatever is bothering her. I guess we will be keeping our private room for a while longer, and after everything was looking so good. I'm sure she'll still be fine, but it is not fun that she has to have all these tests. And I can't be there a lot. I usually only get to go to the NICU about 2 hrs a day. I keep telling myself when I can breastfeed her, I'll figure out how I can stay there all day long. Between the hour drive to and from the hospital, gas money and Keaton (my 1 yr old son) at home, it's really hard to even get to the hospital every day.

Anyway, I think I covered everything, will keep you all updated. Please pray for her, she's such a tough little precious girl. I know the Lord is still watching over her, I guess we couldn't expect a completely uneventful stay in the NICU.

No comments: